Recent Posts

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Burgerlicious Newtown, NSW 2042



Name: Burgerlicious (Newtown)

Address: 215 King Street Newtown, NSW 2042

Burger: Cheese Burger

Price: $11.40 (with chips and a bottle of water)

Description: A "Gourmet" burger chain

I had the beer munchies after a few beers at Kelly's in Newtown. I was going to stop off at a tex-mex place on the way to Tom's car, but it was busy. Luckily, I walked past burgerlicious, and my decision was pretty much made for me. Burgerlicious (in my opinion) fall between your local take-away shops, and the famous fast food chains such as McDonald's and Hungry Jacks. They are similar to some of the burger chains in the USA which fill this gap, namely Fatburger, In n' Out and Five Guys.


I decided to wait until I got home to eat. It was only a 5 minute drive, but it seemed like 5 hours. The smell emanating from the bag was amazing, I was pretty impressed when I took the food out of the bag.

Cheese Burger and chips - with melty cheese!
The contents were as follows:
  • Bun
  • Grilled Onions
  • Angus Beef
  • Cheese
  • Pickles
  • Tomato Sauce
  • American Mustard
Mmmmmmm.

Beef:
The beef in my Burgerlicious Cheese Burger was amazing. It was as close to the unadulterated beef you get at fast food chains as I've seen in a non-major chain. It was extremely juicy, very well cooked, and tasted amazing. There were no obvious fillers - only beef and seasoning (salt and pepper). My only gripe - The pattie was slightly small in comparison to the bun. Otherwise - wow. Amazing.

Cheese:
Finally. A burger place which understands the importance of cheese. Not only was it very tasty, and a good size, the slice of cheese was as close to perfectly melted I've come across from a non-fast food burger place. It was salty, creamy and complemented the beef perfectly.

Bun: 
This was a good bun. It was flour-dusted and tasted quite good. It held together fine - very important. It was also quite fresh. This was a good bun - something most places neglect.

Extras:
There weren't a whole lot of extras. This was essentially a typical American cheese burger, with grilled onions. The grilled onions were cooked well, and added to the overall burger experience. The pickles were fresh and tangy, and went so well with the tomato sauce (ketchup) and American mustard combination. A time-tested formula - other places should take not. 

Fries:
Quite good. While not what you would get from this sort of place (half local take-away, half fast food), they were good. They were somewhat soggy - perfect! Great flavour, and seasoned well.

Verdict
Go grab one - even if you're not just walking past! The burger was great. I may think this way because I love my classic cheese burgers, but I'd be surprised if others didn't enjoy it too. The burger had an almost perfect combination of ingredients - with all parts complementing each other, and not drowning out others. 

Meat
4/5
Cheese
4/5
Bun
3.5/5
Extras
4/5
Fries
3.5/5


Total:
3.8
(Go for it, now!)

1 comments:

Being a Newtown local, a convenient place for a burger craving for me. But that's not all, the burgers are actually good! Burger place pick of the area.

.....we've also posted a few words on Kellys too ;)

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More