Recent Posts

Monday, January 3, 2011

St. Regis Hotel Bar and Grill - Vancouver, Canada

I spotted a nice little bar on the way to Fatburger, and went back the next night to check it out. I was happy to find out they served burgers! The Bar and Grill was part of the St. Regis Hotel on Dunsmuir St. The menu had a lot of interesting items on it, but I couldn't go past another burger.

Burger on the menu at the St. Regis Bar and Grill



St. Regis Burger with fries

I added a slice of aged cheddar and peppered bacon. Not bad for $CAD13 (about the same in $AUD at the time). The burger was great. The balance of ingredients was spot on, something that many places just can't seem to do.

Meat:
The pattie was a good thickness - thicker than most fast food type burgers, but not as thick as your standard bar burgers. I don't like overly thick patties, it often means that a lot of additions (breadcrumbs, egg etc.) are needed just to keep it together, affecting the flavour. This pattie did not have this problem. It was lightly seasoned, so I could taste the beefy goodness. It was cooked medium to well-done. Good pattie, but not the best I've had.

Score: 4/5


Cheese:
I added one slice of aged cheddar. It was the yellow "American" type cheese, and it melted very well. Gooey, melty cheese is one of my favourite parts of a burger. The cheese had a great flavour, and one slice was perfect.

Score: 3.5/5


Bun:
The bun was slightly too thick on top, and thin on the bottom - but this was obviously just the way it was cut. It was a little dry, but did the job of keeping the goodness inside. Surprisingly, the bottom part did not fall apart. The bun did it's job, but it was nothing to rave about.

Score: 3/5


Extras:
As per the menu, the burger came with one beef pattie, lettuce, tomato, red onion and a pickle spear (not inside the burger). I added the peppered bacon for $1 extra. I'm glad I did. The bacon was great, smokey, crispy and full of flavour. Great addition to the already solid burger. The lettuce and tomato were reasonably fresh, but not as much as those in the burger I had the previous night at Fatburger. The onions were fresh, and were not too strong. I decided against sauce or caramelised onions. Overall, the extras were good, but nothing amazing. Having said that, they worked well with the meat and cheese. Without the bacon however, the score would not be as high!

Score: 3.5/5


Fries:
The house fries looked as if they were hand cut, always a bonus. There was a little skin left on, which I think can be good. They were a little soggy, but I love my fries like that. They were tasty, and not over-salted. They weren't chili cheese fries, but they were a good addition to the burger.

Score: 3.5/5




St. Regis Burger with fries



Overall, this was a solid burger. The ingredients were all of a high quality, although the tomato and lettuce could have been a little fresher. I enjoyed it, and would definitely have it again (if I happen to be in Vancouver!). You can't really go wrong with this one. 


Total score: 17.5/25

(Very good, go for it.)

ABB.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More